PTA=Parent Teacher Association
Our PTA is a group of dedicated parents who are organized to benefit all of Harvard. You can become a member right now by signing up here.
The Harvard PTA supports:
- Harvard’s garden and outdoor learning center in partnership with Urban Harvest ($15,000)
- School assemblies such as visits from Main Street Theater, Houston Grand Opera, Museum of Natural Science & more ($8,000)
- Library and Literacy programs ($10,000)
- Discretionary funds for specific teacher requests annually ($16,000)
- Extra hard- and software upgrades needed throughout the building ($25,000+ for smart board projectors, learning software, etc.)
- Year-round teacher appreciation events ($11,000)
- Community building projects including Pre-K/Kindergarten summer play dates and mixer before the start of school, Dad’s Club and their bi-annual outdoor movie nights, and December Craft Night ($5,000)
- Costs associated with hosting the PTA web site and other communication ($1,000)
These are efforts that make Harvard such an amazing school, adding value to the diligent work of our teachers and staff.
Harvard Parents are making the difference between Good and GREAT! All the wonderful things happening at Harvard happen because of parent participation.
Parents can participate in many ways:
- Five committees are responsible for specific activities. Each committee has a VP who works to assign project leads. These projects are specific PTA activities such as Assemblies or Teacher Appreciation Week.
- Each committee needs volunteers. On a regular basis parents will be asked to volunteer for a project. Be on the look out for sign-up opportunities.
- Attend the PTA general meetings (usually held on a morning after drop-off). We will work hard to keep these updated on our calendar. Be sure to watch for reminders in your PTA email newsletter and in the Tuesday home communication folders. If you’re unable to attend, meeting notes will be posted here.
- We have a PTA board which requires a one to two year commitment of time (except for grade reps, who represent the grade of their child that one year). The list of board members is included below. This board meets monthly, and parents are nominated for board positions by a nominating committee as they become available each year, finalized for the next academic year in April of the previous. If you would like to be considered for a board position, please contact us.